If you are planning on breast feeding your baby, you should make sure to invest in a breast pump. You will need to use a breast pump so you can pump your breasts and fill up some bottles with your milk. This will free you up in case you need to run to the store or go for your doctor’s appointment. No matter how much you want to be with your baby 24/7 you are going to need a break eventually.
Next comes the task of looking through all of the different breast pumps that are on the market to find the one that is best for you and your lifestyle. You have your choice of an automatic pump, electric-powered pump, battery-operated pump, manual pump, and hospital grade breast pump. You can buy one outright or you can rent one from a medical supply company.
With so many options available to you, how do you find which ones are the best breast pumps? Here are some tips to help you out.
- Ask your doctor. He or she may be able to suggest some breast pumps based on which ones their patients have come to love.
- Check with the local La Leche League. This group should be able to help you in a big way. As a group that is all about breastfeeding they should be aware of the newest models as well as the best models that are on the market. They can tell you which ones work best and which ones may be a waste of money.
- Do an Internet search. This will be one time you will want to see the ads so you can find out about the different styles that are available.
- Ask your friends who breastfed to see which ones they were happy with and which ones they didn’t care for. It isn’t a matter of the most expensive products being the best ones to buy anymore.
- Go online to a mothers group and check out the breastfeeding blog. Here is where you will get tons of information not only on which brands are the best but where the best place to buy a breast pump is.
- Once you find a breast pump that you really like, go to Amazon online and find the model you wish to buy. Now read all of the reviews, good and bad, so you are aware of any potential problems. There is always a company that will put out a product line where one of them is a lemon. But if you find people saying the same thing over and over, it is probably true. You may even pick up a model that you hadn’t even heard of before.
- Check with your health insurance company. With the passage of the Affordable Care Act, it is possible to rent a hospital-grade breast pump from a medical supply company in your area. Give them a call to find the closest one to you.