Exterior lighting does not only add beauty to your landscaping; it increases security, as well. Whether your goal is to make sure you can walk safely to the door when you arrive home late, or bring your backyard to life at night for all your gatherings with friends and family, there is a lighting solution that is designed just for you. Getting familiar with your options will help you choose lighting that is most appropriate for your outdoor space and personal needs.
- Flood Lights – Ideal for an entry, dark garage door, or stairway, flood lights really illuminate the area and increase safety. They should be positioned about 9 feet from the ground. Timers and motion sensors are options on them, too.
- Path Lights – As their name implies, path lights should be placed along walkways. If you plan on putting a couple hammocks under that big shade tree out back, use these lights to create a path out there so you can go gaze at the starts after the kids go to sleep. If you do not have any hammocks yet, you don’t know what you are missing. You can find them online at websites like SoothingCompany.com, and you will have the best nap of your life out there. You don’t even need two perfectly spaced trees. Many today have their own stand.
- Post Lights – Classic lantern-like post lights are welcoming and create the perfect atmosphere. These lights are ideal along driveways and around pools.
- Deck Lights – Deck lighting is surprisingly easy to install. It gets mounted right in your deck to illuminate stairs, railings and benches. Flush-mounted ones are also available that can actually be walked on without causing any damage.
- Spot and Well Lights – These handy lights get installed around trees, shrubs, flowers, and ponds to highlight them at night. Don’t let the beauty of your landscaping fade into the night. These lights ensure the hard work provided by your green thumb can be appreciated all the time. They also give your landscaping a sense of depth. Weather-sealed ones cost a little more but they last significantly longer, which makes them well worth the expense
- Decorative Lights – These are the finishing touches that make your property really special. From pagoda-shaped walkway lights to stargazing balls to solar string lights around the railing of your deck, there are countless options available to complement your outdoor living space beautifully.